From chessboxing to paintball it seems there’s no shortage of ideas within the leisure industry.Extreme sports open up new horizons and challenges to young people who take up dangerous activities such as parkour , parkour ride or deep-water soloing . Have you ever practiced any? Have you ever heard of them? The list can be surprisingly long. Can you suggest any other unusual, extreme, crazy activity? Are those activities meant to stay or are they just a fad? The Internet and you tube have contributed to spread the popularity of many of those relatively new sports.
Here follows a reading on Zorbing. Have you ever heard of it?
Download the questionnaire below from slide share. Take your time to reflect on the questions. Write down your answers and bring it to your next lesson. You’ll be asked to share your notes with your classmates. In groups you will have to discuss answers and draw conclusions. (more…)
In the last session you had to reflect on the concept of leisure and whether it had something to do with being idle. If we consider the amount of preparation and planning as well as the investment in special gear some free time activities require, we would have to admit that leisure activities require a lot of effort indeed.
Get into groups and discuss the following questions. Report your findings to the class.
- Do certain hobbies require expensive gear? Which ones would you mention among the most expensive and the cheapest ones?
- Do you have to plan ahead your leisure activities? Provide examples
- Has the lack of special equipment or its cost stopped you from taking up a new hobby? Explain
- Do certain leisure activities require lots of preparation? Which ones ?
- Have you ever used the Internet to buy leisure gear? When? Why?
- Has the Internet helped you in your hobbies? How?